NSA Board Member – David Large
1. Where did you grow up and where do you live now?
Grew up in small town Ontario, Canada and now live in Markham, a suburb of Toronto
2. Can you tell us a bit about your Family?
I have a son, Chris, who works in the business with me and a daughter, Kelly, who is an accomplished primary school special education teacher.
3. Can you tell us about your Work history?
I’ve spent my whole life in sales and marketing tires, automotive parts, high pressure valves, industrial pumps and yes…roofing slate.
4. What types of products and services does your company provide and in which regions of the country?
We inventory and sell a full range of North American produced roofing slate throughout the United States and Canada.
5. What are your interests/hobbies/what do you do for fun?
I have an old Corvette, play a little guitar, spend time at my cottage, and travel to somewhere warm for a bit during our cold Canadian winters.
6. What do you like about the NSA and what additional resources would you like to see the NSA provide for their members?
I love the wealth of knowledge available from the other members who are so generous in giving of their time, expertise and experience. I can be faced with a question that I have no answer for, and simply pick up the phone to speak with a member who almost always has the answer to that question.
7. Tell us about a unique opportunity or experience, you’ve had in your life.
I met John Carrick Sr. who brought me into the slate business over 20 years ago. John was the most successful person I have ever met in both business and in life.
Melinda Gates said “If you are successful, it is because somewhere, sometime, someone gave you a life or an idea that started you in the right direction.” John Carrick Sr. was that person in my life. Melinda Gates went on to say “Remember that you are indebted to life until you help some less fortunate person, just as you were helped.”